Packaging Designer: Design Agency – Johannesburg
Calling all packaging pros! We have a fabulous opportunity for a junior to mid-weight Packaging Designer to join the team at a hot Johannesburg Design studio in the northern suburbs. The role will see you supporting the Creative team in developing creatively appealing and award-winning packaging design solutions, which are to brief, budget and time. You’ll get the chance to manage your own projects under the management of the Creative Director and you’ll be working with a cross-functional team to deliver creative communications that meet the brief. In order to be in the running for this job it is vital that you have experience in Packaging Design in a specialist packaging design studio or working in-house as a Packaging Designer.
- Working with the team to translate written briefs into creatively appealing and commercially viable Packaging Design solutions which consider all markets where appropriate, in line with Brand/Creative Direction and to budget and time, and with the utmost attention to detail
- To manage individual projects as required by the Creative Director
- Attend briefing meetings and represent the Creative team in project groups
- Briefing and directing photographers, illustrators, designers, copywriters, and freelance resource where required to produce creative materials
- Representing the creative team and presenting creative work to cross-functional teams
- To motivate other members of the wider creative team, generating fresh ideas
- Sourcing and researching relevant information as required for projects
- Attending exhibitions, conferences etc. as requested by the Creative Director
- To be fully aware and up to date with current developments and trend in Design
- Keep up to date with current trends in Packaging
- Undertaking special Creative projects as required by the Creative Director
- Liaising with, directing and attending technical/production meetings to ensure quality standards and finishes are met
- Working with external suppliers to ensure quality standards and finishes are met
- Continually build knowledge and awareness of material/Design limitations and solutions to aid in developing viable Design solutions – working with closely with the Production Team, Finished Art team and external suppliers.
- To perform other Marketing related duties as assigned or requested by the manager
- Responsible for maintaining the ethical standards of the agency at all times
The successful candidate must have/be:
- BA in Packaging/Graphic Design/Related or equivalent – desirable
- Packaging experience in a specialist packaging design studio or in-house as a packaging designer – non-negotiable
- Excellent ability to sketch concept/design ideas and/or layout before
- translation/articulation using computer software
- Excellent Mac skills, fully conversant with Illustrator, InDesign & Photoshop to visualising/retouching standards
- Excellent creative crafting skills – ideas, typology, layout, colour, composition, materials etc.
- Good knowledge of Artwork/Repro/Print processes
- Experience in developing commercially viable creative concepts and delivering to brief in a Design studio environment
- Knowledge and understanding of Packaging Development
- Experience in contributing to Creative strategy
- Good understanding and appreciation of product/pack material limitations and solutions and of new/recyclable materials
- Knowledge of 3D rendering / packages will be advantageous.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams in brief development and translation to concept
- A passion for Design
- Drive to win awards
On application please attach your portfolio PDF and/or link to portfolio.
Send your CV anyway - something will come in tomorrow!