Account Director: Design Packaging: Foods – Cape Town
Previously disadvantaged candidates will be given preference.
We have a fabulous opportunity for an Account Director to work in the Foods Design division of a leading retailer’s Cape Town HQ. In this role you will be one of the main points of contact between the Foods Business Units and Marketing for all Packaging projects. In this regard you will lead the Agency team on all Foods Design Packaging portfolios (from design brief through to execution) whilst ensuring the Brand Identity remains consistent. You’ll be responsible for delivery to the Foods Business Units and management of exceptional creative product, on strategy, on time and on budget, that exceeds business expectations and positions the brand’s packaging as best of breed and world-class. Encompassing Project Management & Quality, Business & Commercial Management, Stakeholder Management and Creative you will really get the chance to show off your hard-earned experience in this senior role.
- Accountable for writing strategic, concise and actionable creative briefs involving key stakeholders at the commencement of projects ensuring that packaging requirements (packaging format and commercial parameters) are included.
- Partner with the agency’s creative team to manage internal and external creative resources to deliver creative solutions to the brief on time and on budget.
- Ensure adherence to design process critical path and provide weekly status updates on packaging design to Head of Account Management: Packaging and Foods stakeholders.
- Manage the quality of creative briefings to facilitate the delivery of exceptional creative and strategic response, minimise re-work and deliver cost savings to the business.
- Ensure scoping meeting is held following client briefing, attended by all key stakeholders and the critical path for the project is agreed.
- Ensure scheduling of work through Studio Traffic Manager is according to agreed process with agreement of timing expectation and resource allocation (as agreed with Head of Account Management: Packaging) to the estimate approved by client.
- Ensure all creative work reviewed according to the creative review process before presentation to client and any changes requested to the design following sign-off re-enter the review process.
- Drive the Foods Packaging Design Forums to present creative work and progress updates to our Foods clients.
- Brief and manage copy development as required and drive the importance of tone of voice and copy content though all projects.
- Ensure Design Finalisation across a representative selection of products as on-shelf mock-ups to drive on-shelf impact and shoppability.
- Partner with Marketing Brand and Customer teams to develop customer insights, including attendance of relevant customer focus groups, and develop action plans for packaging design based on customer and sales feedback.
- Accountable for driving scheduling and timing plans on all projects and ensure adherence through all stages of development and implementation.
- Manage, optimise and attend photography shoots from end to end in terms of pre-production meetings, relevant parties’ attendance at meetings & at the shoot, correct product is delivered on time and all trace guides are organised in advance.
- Ensure that all external & internal Photography & Styling PO’s are managed timeously.
- Ensure adequate design hand-overs to the Packaging Artwork team based on the approved design, ensuring that designs are completed and approved by all stakeholders and accompanied by any necessary information and photography/illustration within the agreed upon timing.
- Ensure accuracy and recording of all project documentation including contact reports, timing plans, status updates.
- Accountability to the Foods SLA & CPA.
- Manage and deliver the fee income targets for Foods, reporting bi-weekly on target delivery and forecast to Head of Account Management: Packaging.
- Manage effective cost management through revenue forecasting, profitability management and resource planning.
- Accurately and effectively estimate work based on the requirements of the brief.
- Ensure Head of Design & Traffic approval in terms of design resources required.
- Negotiate financial issues and manage cost control with clients, advising clients of likely budget overruns as early as possible in the process (variations/ scope changes etc.) and provide additional cost estimates for additional work.
- Ensure all external PO’s are managed timeously.
- Drive change within the broader business to achieve operational excellence through continuous process review, improvement, modification and implementation.
- Provide feedback on sales and customer feedback to the Agency team.
- Conduct PIR’s on all major projects.
- Build partnerships with Foods, Visual Merchandise, Brand Management, Packaging Technology, Online and Customer teams to ensure creative is effectively communicated to deliver one brand look and feel.
- Maintain awareness of marketing and industry trends within packaging, technology and print.
- Understand the brand’s position in the marketplace relative to its competitors.
- Build partnerships with Suppliers, Digital Asset Management, Foods Product Development & Foods Co-ordinators, Packaging Technology, Foods Technology and Foods Legal teams to maintain industry leading legislative knowledge in Foods Packaging.
- Primary Packaging point of contact, with accountability for relationship and stakeholder management with key areas – Marketing/Brand/Agency, Visual Merchandising & Foods BU.
- Ensure integrated Foods Packaging delivery within Special Occasions.
- Build and maintain effective partnerships with key 360 partners ensuring the integration of creative and strategy across the business.
- Design team to ensure quality briefs are submitted into the Agency, timings are met, and financial objectives achieved.
- Drive the Design Forum and Creative Review process and all relevant integrated sessions to ensure that all creative work is reviewed and presented according to agreed process.
- Think strategically and drive successful Brand/Agency relationships.
- Consult Head of Design on a day-to-day basis, providing overall vision and direction for creative work and ensuring business context is correct.
- Excellent judge of creative and able to articulate and champion a case in any Packaging/Creative forum
- Attend Design Forum and Creative Reviews and action debriefs with relevant stakeholders.
- Keep creative teams apprised of all relevant Foods /account issues.
- Constantly seek innovation & trends and relevant recommendations.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- Relevant Degree / Diploma
- A minimum of 6-8 years’ experience in Packaging Design / Retail / FMCG / Agency experience including printing processes
- Technical knowledge across all elements of marketing and packaging
- Experience in managing budgets and teams
- Foods experience
- Ability to understand and interpret local and international design trends
- Excellent planning and organising skills with the ability to multi-task and work toward deadlines
- Good communication, teamwork and relationship building skills
- PC & MAC literacy
- Familiarity with computer design packages
Passion for retail, the product, brand and customers
- Excellent Project Management and Stakeholder Management skills
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Proactive, Can-Do approach and attitude
- Strategic and conceptual thinker with excellent presentation skills
- Analytical and proven problem-solving ability
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and manage change
- Strong attention to detail
- Creative thinker and proven ability to evaluate creative work
- Commercial acumen; demonstrates basic business sense and understanding, as well as understands the macro-economic environment
- Professional, respectful and courteous.
Should you not receive a response within two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The consultant will get back to you