PR Account Manager: Financial Services – Cape Town
A terrific opportunity for a mid-weight PR Account Manager with a gift for financial writing has become available at a fabulous, small, boutique PR consultancy in Cape Town. We’re looking for someone special who traverses the organisational demands of Account Management and the ability to write and edit extremely well. The consultancy boasts a great track record and some impressive clients, predominantly in the financial services industry, which means you’ll need experience in that sector to be eligible for this role. In fact, if you happen to be a Financial Journalist or have previous PR consultancy experience and are eager to move into an AM role, we’d be keen to hear from you. The ideal candidate is broadly capable at both project and account management as you will be handling a wide range of assignments, projects and/or clients, which you’ll need to do with a high degree of success and independence. You will bring your high-level professional knowledge and skills to this role, taking full responsibility for your projects, providing excellent client service, applying the office’s best resources, effectively managing people involved in projects and managing for profitable growth. You will demonstrate the ability and wherewithal to deliver on the company’s vision, performance requirements and growth projections. Get in touch today!
- Independently handles several smaller accounts or parts of a large account, performing much of the day-to-day work with assistance from both more junior and more senior staff as appropriate
- Is client’s primary day-to-day contact on parts of a large account and on small accounts is the contact for the full account and has clients’ respect, trust and confidence.
- Keeps teams appropriately informed and involved in projects/account work. Delegates effectively.
- Media hound – knows the media and how to track them down. Knows who’s writing what, and how they write.
- Develops and drafts communication programmes based on team input
- Understands clients’ businesses and business trends in their sector.
- Oversees and directs media campaigns.
- Has established relationships with relevant journalists.
- Efficiently and effectively plans and manages events (e.g. press conferences, media tours, etc.)
- Takes responsibility for delivering client publicity targets
- Handles media queries, or delegates as appropriate
- Develops article ideas and builds creative content calendars. Newsjacks.
- Gives clients strategic PR counsel
- Develops PR campaigns/plans for specific projects
- Leads client status meetings
- Hosts media at client functions
- Interviews spokesmen for articles
- Generates publicity ideas and helps team with same (i.e. where can X be published)
- Edits and/or repurposes existing client-generated material for media. Develops his/her editing skills so that he/she can direct the written materials of others.
- Pitches and secures interviews and article placements and assists team with same
- Develops presentations for clients
- Develops campaign budgets as necessary
- Monitoring Twitter and the blogosphere for commenting opportunities, and drafting tweets and blog posts as needed
- Identifies and secures help on emerging account problems
- Anticipates and assists in developing solutions to client needs and problems.
- Provides leadership in building effective, productive account teams.
- Understands business needs of clients and relays these to other members of the team
- Manages client expectations
- Hosts clients at media functions
- Relates with senior clients and gains their trust. This includes keeping on top of relevant news.
- Nurtures client relationships to ensure client retention.
Sales and Marketing
- Has strong presentation skills and plays an increasingly active role in new business and client presentations.
- Is able to articulate and apply agency vision, goals, practice areas, products and overall capabilities.
- Writes social media content
- Provides strong research support for Account Director for pitches
Initiative and General Management
- Acts as manager, role model and mentor for team and takes responsibility for team’s productivity
- Acts as the first level of management that clients work with if a client relationship isn’t going well
- Assists with screening and hiring of AEs
- Delegates effectively
- Works with account director to identify and address training, leadership and career development needs.
- Continually seeks new ways to learn, improve and contribute.
- Routinely recommends and implements solutions when problems arise.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Previous financial services experience – essential (a Financial Journalist or a candidate with previous PR Consultancy experience will be considered)
- 5 years’ experience
- Strong, excellent writing and editing skills – essential
- Ability to interview
- Bilingual (English & Afrikaans) – a big plus.
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The consultant will get back to you