Now here’s a life-changing, exciting opportunity! A large FMCG company with headquarters in Zambia is looking for a highly experienced and dynamic Senior Creative Director. We are looking for a strong leader with extensive TVC experience, to drive concept development and manage a large in-house team. Ideally, you are a CD from an above-the-line Art Direction background; someone with CD experience within an advertising agency/in-house agency. In this exciting role you will be responsible for driving their creative vision across the group’s portfolio of brands, across their pan sub–Saharan African markets, creating and/or refining the visual identities and leading the in-house creative team’s output working closely with media teams, production teams, marketing head and related executive director. You will report to the Executive Director.
The successful candidate will be expected to drive campaigns and design that is comparable to, and able to be recognised as, international best practice. You will work on ATL and Digital campaigns (TV, Radio, Print, OOH, Digital). You must have extensive TV experience and be familiar with the TV production process.
The company’s products are sold in various countries on the continent, so we’re looking for an applicant who has previous experience working on brands in Africa. Initially, there will be quite a bit of travel to different countries where the company’s products are sold in order to familiarise you with the different markets. Thereafter, it will only be for big projects.
If you are an ace at producing original creative work for different markets, boast a stable work history, super FMCG experience on the continent and are ready to commit to a long-term role, we’d love to hear from you!
This is not a remote role and the successful candidate will be required to relocate.
- Build, lead, and review work of the creative team in the production of television, content, radio, design and digital marketing collateral
- Spearhead and manage content strategy for both small-scale and large-scale projects, harnessing strategy, digital and brand design, compelling content, and leveraging technology
- Collaborate with the marketing and sales departments in developing marketing plans, analysing results, and identifying opportunities
- Develop internal marketing campaigns that translate marketing objectives across business units into clear and motivating creative strategies
- Analyse brand metrics, market trends, consumer need, and the competitive landscape
- Meet budget standards by forecasting and managing related expenses
- Developing concepts for advertising or promotional campaigns
- Pitching ideas to directors
- Storyboarding or translating ideas to the creative team across in-house production units and designers
- Leading multiple projects from conception to completion in accordance with deadlines agreed
- Working closely or collaborate with Executive Director, Group Marketing Head and Media teams
- Evaluating and, if necessary, altering, the content of projects before completion
- Hiring, developing, and managing the creative team
- Ensuring all the organisation’s visuals are consistent with the overall brand
- Work to create and amend visual identities and art direction in line with brand strategies
- Steering or writing scripts in conjunction with in-house resources or copywriter and partner third party agencies
- Supervise a cross-functional team of graphic designers, copywriters, social media experts, photographers/videographers, and project managers in the strategic development of messages and deliverables
- Prioritise work and resources across engagements based on short and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with designers, copywriters, and production departments
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with creative team, maintaining strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally responsible manner
- Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address marketing goals and challenges
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling print materials and digital experiences for visually sophisticated audiences
- Present, or oversee presentation of final concepts, and obtain approvals for deliverables
- Overseeing photo or TV shoots for advertising or content generation
- Select and work closely with external suppliers when necessary
- Sign off projects before they are presented to the directors
- Mentor and encourage creative team members to foster a positive work environment
- Lead capability and skills development of in house creative and production resources
- Participate in and provide regular opportunities for professional development and growth to team in order to deliver best in class or best practice execution of globally competitive standards
- Shoulder the responsibility of the quality and completion of all work projects assigned to members of the creative team
- Report progress of projects at major stages of their conception, creation, and execution
- Work with internal and external strategic partners to create products using the most current industry best practices
- Ensure designs and content consistently and positively reflect the brand image and company ideals
- Serve as a liaison between the marketing, creative team and between and principles
- Anticipate problems that may impede a project from completing on time and implement solutions
- Ability to translate concepts across multi-channel strategies and drive related production development including both traditional channels as well as digital collateral, social media, content and web.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- An undergraduate degree in graphic design, fine arts, visual communication, typography or a related subject – mandatory
- Master’s degree in marketing or business or related postgraduate degree – preferable.
- 10 + years’ related experience with 5+ years’ experience in senior or leadership positions with proven ability to manage a creative team in an agency or corporate setting
- Proven experience creating marketing/advertising campaigns from developing vision and the message platform to overseeing production on time and budget
- Advertising production experience essential
- Must have extensive TV experience and be familiar with the TV production process
- Strong ATL portfolio
- Stable work history
- Must have experience managing a large team (15 plus)
- Understanding and past experience creating integrated content across all marketing channels from traditional media channels to digital, social media, paid media and mobile
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Project management experience, with a focus on creative direction essential
- Must have some experience with the African market – preferably FMCG experience
- Experience working on brands in Africa – a must
- Willing to travel
- Able to relocate.
- Creativity Skills: Concept creation and ideation. Awareness of current trends in advertising and graphic design. Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to develop innovative, actionable, creative initiative. Deep knowledge of how to develop brand identities through multi-channel campaigns.
- Communication and Presentation Skills: Excellent communication (written and verbal). Confident presentation skills in order to pitch ideas to directors. Able to clearly articulate and explain their ideas to members of their creative team.
- Interpersonal Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills essential. They need a clear creative vision while remaining open to others’ ideas. Capable of managing and collaboration with a diverse and multicultural team. A belief in relationships as a way of doing business. Ability to engage and inspire.
- Leadership Skills: Leadership skills required in order to hire, develop and oversee their creative team. Promote and environment of professionalism and discipline within the creative team. Ability to bring marketing expertise and business understanding in addition to creativity.
- Digital and Graphic Design Skills: Extensive knowledge of graphic design and relevant software is vital. Strong technical knowledge of film-making techniques, production processes, video editing, copywriting as well as digital skills are essential.
- Management Skills: Proven ability to consistently drive results. Planning and management of a diverse set of initiatives and including
- General: Passionate about understanding cultures in all forms as a source of insight and inspiration. Flexible, Adaptable and Agile. Energetic, self-motivated and proactive.
Please submit a relevant portfolio along with your CV on application.
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.